Friday, July 25, 2008

Mad Men

I just finished the first 4 episodes of AMC's critically acclaimed (worshiped is probably a better word) series Mad Men. So far, it's got me pretty conflicted. As a 1960's period piece, they simply could not be doing a better job. The actors, sets, music, smoking, drinking, and chauvinism all come together in a way that makes me have to remind myself that this was filmed in 2007. My problem with it is that I hate nearly every single one of the characters, and the situations they get themselves into are just plain depressing. Watching scum-bag after scum-bag fumble through lose-lose scenarios is not my idea of a good time. I'm really hoping that in the next few episodes they start to reveal these people to be tragically flawed well-meaners as opposed to sociopaths.

No comments: