Friday, February 13, 2009

OwlCon 2009

The last few weeks, I've been having a great time hanging out with some people that I met through the Something Awful forums. Having seen so many PSA's on the subject, I was understandably nervous about meeting up with strangers from the internet, but most of them have turned out to be (relatively) normal and a lot of fun. Last weekend, I went with Carey, one of the guys I met the first night with the goons, to OwlCon, a board gaming convention hosted annually by Rice University. I only attended 1 out of 3 days, but really enjoyed being there and playing games with people. Between (and during) games, I walked around a took a few pictures to show the rest of the world what a board game convention looks like. Click for the large versions!


These guys were playing something really generic-sounding and forgettable, like "Witchmage" or "Dragonspire" or something like that.


Note the tape measures


Probably the nerdiest thing I have ever seen in my life: Playing World of Warcraft while sitting inside a MechWarrior simulator while also attending a board gaming convention


Some sort of large D&D style game


DM at work


This is one of the games Carey ran that weekend, Order of the Stick


I'm the one with the beard


It took about 4 hours to play, and that was using the Quick Game rules


This was a critical battle toward the end of the game. Carey, the one in the glasses, ended up winning it all.

No comments: