Friday, January 4, 2008

Big Ol' Movie Ho-Down!

I don't have very many things going on in my life right now ("now" being the holidays), so I've been watching a whooole lot of movies. I don't have the motivation to write formal reviews for them, but I wanted to share my general impressions with you.

Atonement (2007) - Stunning in every way. Easily slides into my Top 5 of the year.

I'm Not There (2007) - A refreshingly original take on the biopic genre, but anyone unfamiliar with the Dylan mythos may feel very left out.

Charlie Wilson's War (2007) - A great story and script (supported by some of the year's best acting) are brought down (slightly) by mediocre film-making.

Eastern Promises (2007) - Cronenberg's very disappointing follow-up to A History of Violence. There really aren't many nice things to say about this one.

Sweeney Todd (2007) - Finally! A musical with Tarantino-esque violence! Worth a rental, if you're into one or both of those, I guess.

3:10 to Yuma (2007) - A great western, but one that sadly does not transcend the genre.

Once (2007) - Fantastic music, very unique direction / cinematography, and a disappointing ending. Note that my opinion of the ending may change on repeat viewings.

The Heartbreak Kid (2007) - Anyone who's seen the trailer could write an accurate and detailed review of this movie. "Formulaic" is not nearly a strong enough word.

Eagle Vs. Shark (2007) - I imagine the pitch for this indie-scene darling went something like: "It's Napoleon Dynamite, all growed up!" Avoid.

Hot Rod
(2007) - Keep your expectations low, and you'll have a good time.

Rescue Dawn (2007) - There's a lot to love here, but some wonky directorial and editing decisions don't make it easy. This film is in desperate need of a director's cut or re-edit.

Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007) - Yeah, yeah, it's straight-to-DVD, but GOSH DARNIT FUTURAMA IS BACK. A few stale jokes litter an otherwise triumphant return.

Primer (2004) - The absurdly good story of two friends who accidentally invent a time machine. This is my favorite sci-fi flick in years, and it's beautifully shot, just to rub it in. Did I mention it was made by 4 guys for $7000?

Caddyshack (1980) - Like most comedies of its era, the appeal is completely lost on me.

Network (1976) - A fascinating and jarring (not to mention "over-the-top") study of the corruptive power of the media. Could stand to lose a sub-plot or two, but still great.

I'll post full reviews of a couple of these and some ones that didn't make it on here...eventually.

No comments: