Monday, June 23, 2008

Perception as it pertains to prediction

If hindsight is 20:20, what does that make foresight? Pretty foggy, in my experience. How does one decide that a certain course of action is the right one? To make any decision, you essentially have to take all the observable, objective information, and balance that against your emotions and gut feelings on the issue. This is very rarely a fair fight. Objectivity can hold its own in only a few types of discussions, while emotion tends to rule all other spheres. Why do we trust our emotions, something known and demonstrated to be fallible, over our intelligence and ability to reason? This imbalance is particularly flagrant when it comes to our interactions with the opposite sex. I don't mean this as an indictment of you people; I'm just as bad as everyone else. I can't even tell you how many times I've had this conversation with myself:

Left Brain: "Listen, Right. She is rude, boring, and we don't even share any interests!"
Right Brain: "But I loooooove her!"

Guess which one wins? How in the world am I supposed to pick someone to spend my entire life with when my emotions are actively poisoning my decision-making process? I try my best to shut out that swooning, lovestruck side of my brain, but can I really trust myself? There have been times when I thought, honestly believed, that I was making an intelligent, informed decision, only to think the exact opposite thing a week later. I'd love to believe the things that old married couples say when questioned about this process, like "You just know!" Really? 50% of people in America "just knew" that were perfect for each other, but they got divorced anyway. That just doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the whole process.

Maybe knowing that I can't trust myself is half the battle.

No comments: