Monday, May 19, 2008

Current Events

Statistics is a class that seemed really interesting on the surface, but once you start to dig into it, you find out that it's actually incredibly boring. The concept of exploring random events or population characteristics is intriguing, but the reality is basically an endless parade of tables, charts, and formulas. Having to watch this parade for four hours every day for two weeks got old after the first class period. I'm just glad that I don't have to live in the wonderful world of statistics for an entire semester.

Bringing a laptop to class is probably going to have a negative impact on my grade, but I consider it a fair trade for keeping my sanity. Beating Zuma (something I've been working on for about 5 month's worth of boring classes) has become an almost fanatical endeavor. Every time I see those balls slurp into the hole in the middle of the board I want to throw my laptop across the room. When you play a game this much, you start to notice all the little problems with it. I can't say for sure, but I think the game might be cheating.

Over the weekend, I went to a house party with 2 guys I barely know to hang out with a bunch of people I didn't know at all. I'm not going to tell the whole story, because it's not very flattering. This is my blog and I'll tell you what I want to tell you, so quit complaining. I don't know how much you know about me, fearless reader, but I'm not exactly what you (or anyone) would call a "partier." I don't "party" or attend "parties." At best, I'm inexperienced, but I had a good time. Nothing bad happened, but it was certainly out of character for me. This and other events have gotten me thinking about how your childhood perceptions of your future self rarely match up with the reality. I mean, I guess this is true for everyone and not just me. I hope it is. If my 12-year-old self could meet my current 22-year-old self, (ignoring any time-travel paradoxes that would certainly arise) what would he think? I can't imagine that he would be pleased, but I don't think that that's necessarily a bad thing. Obviously, we all change as we grow up and that means a change in our morals and values. Is my 12-year-old set of values more "right" than my 22-year-old set due to some sort of childhood purity? Or could it be the other way around, thanks to a measure of adulthood insight? I have no idea what the answer to that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.