Thursday, May 22, 2008

I always get a lot done when I have homework due. The thought of actually doing the work I'm paying good money to do makes even cleaning look like a fun activity. I'm sitting in my favorite coffee shop trying to talk myself into studying for a test. I'm writing this post because I'm doing a terrible job of it.

It's weird to see how people change when you haven't seen them in a while. Will they be fatter? In better shape? Depressed? Engaged? Married? Maybe I'm just instinctively opposed to change, but I'm never happy to see these differences between memory and reality. If things are bad for them, I feel bad. If things are good, I'm jealous. I'm not sure what this says about me. Why can't I just be happy for people?

It has come to my attention recently that I'm not a particularly nice person. My roommate said something to me, and my first thought was "I know he's joking, but that's kind of a mean thing to say." My second thought was "Oh, wait, he was quoting me." That was a little disconcerting. I seriously have to make an effort to avoid saying mean or sarcastic things or they just come spilling out. This character trait (flaw?) has caused me a lot of trouble in romantic relationships, since I am attracted to girls who, as Karyn would say, "feel their feelings very deeply." That type of girl will never respond well to sarcasm. It's obviously something I need to work on.

No comments: