Sunday, May 25, 2008

Like a Ro-woah-woah-llercoaster

The last couple weeks have definitely been filled with ups and downs, as my friends and I start new parts of our lives. A few of us are doing it together, but mostly we are going our separate ways. When I was a freshman, I knew that eventually I would have to say goodbye to all the friends I had made in my time at Harding. I guess I pictured a big post-graduation party where we spent one last night laughing and telling stories and etc etc. Fitting with the theme that this blog seems to have developed, expectation versus actuality, there wasn't any party. Some people I saw for the last time for who knows how long during finals. I got to spend two weeks with a few more of them over intercession, but no matter when I saw them last, it was uneventful. The closest I came to having an actual goodbye with someone♦ was Chris saying "Hey I guess this is last time I'll see you for a while." My response was something along the lines of "Yeah, I guess it is." We walked to our cars and that was it. After 4 years of classes and studying and killing time with this person, we simply slipped out of each other's lives. I honestly have a hard time getting my head around that.

If those were the downs, the ups would be moving into this decrepit Searcy apartment with a couple of guys for the summer. I didn't really know how it would go, having never lived with either of them before. You know that feeling you get in the first few minutes of a movie, where you just know that you're going to love it? Or when you try to sing along with a song you've never heard before? I think I've found the "life changes" version of that music/movie feeling. Living with them has been incredibly easy and more fun than I've had in a very long time. After 8 semesters in the dorms, I've finally got an apartment, and with 2 great guys to boot. I don't have much to complain about lately.

No comments: